Friday, August 19, 2011

Book Reviews


The Unsinkable Walker Bean
by Aaron Renier

Aaron Renier's artwork reminds me in a way of Where's Waldo artist Martin Handford in its complexity and detail, but better. The story is fun and quirky and filled with pirates, sea-witches, high adventure and wonderful gadgets. It reminds me of when I was a little girl and spent my summers inventing fantastic stories with pirates, cowboys, and brave orphans that I then acted out with my sisters and the neighbor boys. Thanks, Aaron for bringing back the memories! :)


Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave
by Laban Carrick Hill
Beautifully illustrated, poignant story of an African-American potter in the 1800s. The little we know about his life comes partly from the beautiful pots he made and the few lines of poetry etched on the surface of a few. The author and illustrator show the dignity of his life and the beauty of his work in in the face of his condition as a slave.


- Karla Giraldéz, BCL- Southwest

No comments: