Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Mardi Gras Storytime Theme


Some Storytime themes are harder than others. I wanted to do a Mardi Gras theme, because it sounds FUN for kids & parents. However, I discovered there are very few books on this topic for preschoolers. I decided to still keep it as my theme but I branched out into related areas such
as parades & parties.  It turned out to be one of our best storytimes. The kids and their parents loved it.  I thought I would share this with you, because it was a difficult theme, but, in the end it turned out to be one of our best!

I began by explaining to the kids that Mardi Gras takes place this time of year, down in the South (New Orleans) where it is warm. I told them they have a BIG party, where they celebrate with food, parades and parties. Three of the primary colors that they use throughout their celebrations are Purple, Gold & Green.

Purple Represents Justice. (Doing what is right!)
Green Represents Faith. (believing in things)
Gold Represents Power (being strong!)

BOOKS:
“Hooray Parade” by Barbara Joosse
“Snow Party” by Harried Ziefert
Fancy Nancy Puppy Party” by Jane O’Connor 
“Parade Day” by Monica Perez

Our Craft was a Jester’s Hat. These were a hit!
(I told the kids that kings in olden days always had a guy who dressed up in a silly way and made them laugh. They wore hats like these. They were called Court Jesters.)

- Barb Husch, Forestville



No comments: