Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Recent Reviews!

The Willoughbys, by Lois Lowry
What a gem! With echoes of Lemony Snicket, Lois Lowry takes on orphans, nannies, wealthy benefactors and neglectful parents. She throws in references to classic children's stories and lots of big words (accompanied by a clever glossary in the back and a bibliography of story titles.) Very funny and clever. Grownups who have read the books she refers to will enjoy the references. Children will be encouraged to seek out the titles and read more.


The Higher Power of Lucky, by Susan Patron
I listened to the audio of this book which was lovely. I find that listening to the books, often helps me slow down and savor the poetry of the writing on a quality read. I could have read this in a sitting, but it was worth the longer listen. I fell in love with the desert as described by Lucky - even though, like Brigitte, I don't like heat or bugs or sand. I loved Miles, and Lincoln, and of course, Lucky. I enjoyed the reader's voice. She was able to do a completely convincing French accent for Brigitte.


~ Karla Giraldéz, BCL - East Branch

PS. To read more of Karla's reviews, log in to goodreads.com, and become her friend!
Not a member? Become one! It's free, easy and you can share "good reads!"

Or...send me a review to share on LNB of a recent youth or teen book you read!




No comments: